Friday, August 9, 2013

Top 10 Essential Picture Books for Kids and Grownups

As part of August's Picture Book 10 for 10 event launched by the folks at Enjoy and Embrace Learning, I'm offering up my Top 10 list. I thought about doing a rundown of the best books featuring smart dogs or adorable penguins or clever kids wearing tiaras. But what I think might be the most helpful is thus:

Top 10 Essential Picture Books

Based on hours of reading with a certain trio in my house, the selection process is highly scientific: it is measured on the hilarity factor, the visual umph, and how many times little voices chirped, "Again!"

What follows are the Top 10 picture books that are simply a joy to share. Whether reading in a classroom to a group or in a rocking chair to a special someone, these are titles that adults – and of course the wee ones – will enjoy again and again. There were many nights when Hubby and I raced to the kids' rooms to call dibs on the stories we wanted to hear, these stories. My only regret is that my kids are getting a little older, so we don't get to read them as often.

Keep these titles in mind when searching for the perfect gift – for the young or young at heart.




We all need to celebrate our creative sides:
I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen Beaumont, illustrated by David Catrow



Play it smart, especially when something wants to eat you up:
The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by Axel Scheffler


When things don't go as planned, roll with the punches:
An Undone Fairy Tale by Ian Lendler, illustrated by Whitney Martin


You can be cool and not even know it:
Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great by Bob Shea


It's nice to have folks around:
Memoirs Of a Goldfish by Devin Scillian, illustrated by Tim Bowers



Sometimes we're cranky:
Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel



Princesses can be very sly:
Falling For Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox, illustrated by Lydia Monks



Even pirates need to be tucked in at night:
How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long, illustrated by David Shannon



Wait for it. . .
The Monster at the End of this Book by Sesame Street



There are surprises even in our routines:
10 Minutes till Bedtime by Peggy Rathmann

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Kate! I'm saving this list for Christmas for all my "adult" nieces and nephews.

    ReplyDelete